The Ewing Gallery of Art and Architecture is named in honor of C. Kermit “Buck” Ewing who initiated the art curriculum at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville in 1947. Begun in 1981, the Ewing Gallery of Art and Architecture is a professionally managed university gallery, funded jointly by the School of Art and the College of Architecture and Design. Our mission is to coordinate exhibitions that illustrate both historical and current attitudes in art and architecture; to support the academic goals of these respective areas; to serve as a cultural resource for the general university and regional communities. The Ewing Gallery has developed and maintained a permanent collection for the purpose of scholarly research and the enrichment of the University and regional communities. Additionally, we sponsor events that augment the curricula and expand students’ awareness of art and architecture via artists’ workshops, student critiques, public lectures, and films.
Ewing Gallery of Art and Architecture
UT Downtown Gallery
Office Phone: 865-974-3199
Design and Communications Coordinator